Message from Metro's CEO Phillip A. Washington
Metro's infrastructure revolution is the pathway to better lives and sustained communities.
WIN-LA is Metro's commitment to attract, hire and grow a world-class transportation workforce from the communities of Los Angeles County.
Our Core Objective
To help people obtain the education and training they need to get jobs at Metro and the transportation industry.
Purpose and Need
The state of our workforce is critical to our success.
Succession planning is crucial to maintaining a viable agency and Metro needs a qualified workforce to deliver its aggressive infrastructure program over the coming decades.
- 47% of Metro's workforce will be eligible for retirement over the next five years.
- 50% of Metro's workforce will be eligible for retirement by 2024.
- 69% of Metro's employees are 40 or over.
We need to prepare job candidates for skilled "hard to fill" positions in our agency and industry.
We must have a qualified workforce to build and maintain our transportation infrastructure throughout Los Angeles County.
Metro strives to put people to work within our agency, on our transportation projects, and in the transportation industry. We will do so by rolling out the program in phases.
- Phase I Through WIN-LA we will focus on identifying and developing the talent pipeline to support Metro's internal workforce challenges, including workforce needs on Metro's construction projects.
- Phase II We will focus on partnering with private sector employers and other transportation agencies to recruit and employ WIN-LA participants through the WIN-LA career pathways.
WIN-LA News & Program Announcements
On July 28, 2017, Metro Board Member and City of Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti, Metro Board Member and Second District Supervisor Mark Ridley-Thomas, Metro Board Member and City of Inglewood Mayor James T. Butts, Metro Board Member Jacquelyn Dupont-Walker, and Metro CEO Phillip A. Washington welcomed elected officials, representatives of the regional Workforce Development Boards, academia, construction contracting community, small business community to formally announce the launch of WIN-LA.